Friday, September 30, 2011

Thanks for Stopping By

This blog will chronicle my journey training for and running my first full marathon in January 2012. As a child, I spent many weekends watching my mom run races - anything from local 5ks to full-blown marathons. My dad, brother and I would see her off at the start and cheer her accross the finish line.

Although I was an athlete throughout school - swimming, playing water polo, and later going on to coach both sports at the high school level - I didn't really start running myself until a few years ago. I've run a few half marathons and after every race, it's been my brother who's egged me on, letting me know that the next race I run really should be a full marathon. So here I am. Anyone who knows me can vouch for the fact that I like a good challenge.

I'm also doing this run as a fundraising project to support the Where Is the Love foundation. I met one of the founders of the Where Is the Love foundation, Joe, and his father this past spring when my colleague/friend and I were up in Pennslyvania doing some work with another non-profit group in the area. At 15 years old, Joe impressed me for not only his vision, but also his passion and genuine belief that we all have a responsibility to make the world better.

You can check out the incredible work that Where Is the Love is doing by visiting their website at www.whereisthelove.org or following them on Facebook here.

More info to follow... Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool Marina.

    Maybe I will join you? That is a big maybe...

    ReplyDelete